Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Lessons of Life

So it happened! Last night in class I got knocked down a few notches.
I have had a blessed semester this school year. I am the top student in both of my classes and in my Interviewing and Assessment class we are doing interviews with each other like we are actually interviewing a client for counseling. The first interview we did in class I was the shining star! The only thing I did wrong was ask too many closed ended questions. We had an extreme midterm that took me 4 hours to do and I asked the teacher to grade on a curve because it was so brutal. Well we got back our midterm and guess who screwed up the curve???? Me! I got a 98 out of 100 on the midterm, so yeah I set the curve at 98! Everyone wanted to share their grades and I stuffed my midterm away and when they were like "Hey I got a 75 and she got a 86 and blah blah blah, what did you get?" I was like "Um ya know I'm not really sure I will look later" I was saved by the bell because we had to start our interviews so no one knows that I set the curve. *whew*
Well I went first on our second interviews last night and I bombed it. Bill (my teacher) ripped me apart it seems like I did EVERYTHING wrong. The only thing I did great was my SOLER -Square facing the client, Open posture, Lean forward, Eye contact, Relaxed-
I can take constructive criticism but geezee come one people you don't pick someone apart and call it "constructive" I wanted to cry, but I was a champ and I held it in.
After class I talked to Bill and he said "You remember the 2 steps forward 1 step back theory?" and I was like "Yes but that does not apply to me" Don't get me wrong I am not conceited and I have not let my head get big just because I got some skillz this semester.
Anyway I called my dad who is usually not graceful with making you feel better but he hit a home run last night. He gave me his famous speech "Successful people are only successful because they failed many times and learned from their mistakes"
I felt much better after talking to him, I realize that I can't be the best at everything I do but it is still hard to swallow.
So pick your moral of the story/life....
Ya can't win them all
The higher you are the farther you fall
If at first you don't succeed then try try again
When one door closes another opens.....

Do you have any insightful life morals you live by and would like to share??????

3 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

I love quotes and find them very inspiring. My fave of all time: "Most people are only as happy as they make up their minds to be." ----Abraham Lincoln

--V-- said...

I like your morals at the end, but what I've got going through my head after reading your thoughts is the theme song to Saved by the Bell...so thanks for that :(

bryan vickery said...

That catchy quote: "stop lying to people you nerd"