Sunday, October 26, 2008

I break for Corn Husks!

So it is fall and harvest time in Indiana and we have a LOT of corn. I feel like I need a bumper sticker on my bumper that reads
"I BREAK FOR CORN HUSKS"

As I am driving down the road, usually "THE 32", I often see something scurrying across the road and I tap my breaks. I love animals, so big or small I don't want to smash one on the road with my tires. This would make me sad :0( so I try to avoid it.

My breaks get a workout during harvest time in Indiana. You see what I am most often breaking for is not natures furry little critters but CORN HUSKS!I know I know I know.

After the combines have whisked the corn out of the fields there are a lot of corn "bits" and what-not left just laying around. Indiana is flat so when the wind blows so does all the "bits" and often times when a single dried corn husk is drifting across the road it resembles something that can scurry and has a heart beat.

Better to be safe than sorry so after a quick glance at all of my mirrors I tap the breaks to avoid crushing what appears to be some sort of a furry creature out for a jaunt across the road. More often than not it is a corn husk I avoided hitting :0)

They are not just flat pieces of dried up leafy stuff that is easily recognizable as a husk. No no no they are sometimes curled or bent so when the wind blows it looks like something hopping or running or whatever.

So yeah, I am doing my part to keep Indiana's Corn Husks safe folks, are you?
I BREAK FOR CORN HUSKS.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

You are too funny! I'm glad someone out there is working hard towards the preservation of corn husks!

Unknown said...

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

I have a friend who swerves everytime she see's a caterpillar on the road. I was riding with her once and she kept swerving to keep from hitting them. It was making me nauceous so I had to threaten her! I did make her a sign that said, "Caution! I swerve for caterpillars."

Kris Sorensen said...

I AIM FOR CORN HUSKS!


;-)

Keym said...

Kris you are soooo cruel. LOL!
Milah that is funny. My mom told me an old wives tale about not running over caterpillars once and it has to do with luck. And something about the white ones meaning longer winter if you smash them.
Nate-Thanks babe, I'm glad someone recognizes me.