Monday, October 13, 2008

Back home again in Muncieania

So we are back home for a day and a few hours and then off to the south.
I decided to pick out a book from my book shelf to read, but I still have Twlight to read so I picked a book that I could put down for weeks at a time if need be.

Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire

Gregory Maguire is a twisted, in depth, complicated story weaver. He takes the original fairy tales and reworks them from another point of view. Wicked is the story of The Wizard of Oz from the wicked witch's point of view, Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister is Cinderella from one of the step sister's point of view, etc...

I am now reading Mirror Mirror which is Snow White but I am not sure who's point of view, we shall see.

There are a few quotes in the first few chapters from the priest that I want to share with all of my fellow bloggers.

"I've never been persuaded you had much of a soul. More like a little damp anchovy stuck between your breasts, trying to breathe. That's what you smell like anyway"

Also from the priest...

"I'm a priest, I know better than most when a lie is permitted"

and last but not least from the priest, a prayer...

"May you choke on your godless superstitions and spend eternity in coals up to your squid marks. Amen"

I like reading Gregory Maguire's books. They are exceedingly complicated and when you think you have it figured out BAM he hits you with another twist. His book Wicked is a Broadway Musical and Nate and I went to Chicago last may and saw it. It was fantastic. When I first start one of his books I feel stupid because they are so complicated but after words I am like "Oh" so I continue to read. It is a plus that you can put it down for weeks or months even and come right back to them.

So I foresee it taking me awhile to get through this book since I have the Twlight series to start!

4 comments:

--V-- said...

Tick, tick, tick. The Twilight movie is coming...

--V-- said...

And squid marks? WHAAATT??

Unknown said...

I have never read anything like that before. I did read to my 6 year old grand daughter a book about The Three Little Pigs told from the Wolf's perspective. That was neat...of course the wolf was framed...totally set up by those pigs! LOL! She kept saying, "That's not how it goes!" I think it's one of her favorite books....at least at my house.

Keym said...

Good Times Milah, I think I will enjoy reading kid friendly books from a different characters point of view to my children one day.
And -V-....
ye of little faith