Sunday, September 06, 2009

Warning! Family Reunion. You may judge me on this...


I had the "privilege" of getting to attend our family reunion today. I try to go every year with my mom because it is her side of the family. At this reunion each family unit or single adult brings a dish or several and also they bring their own plates/silverware and drinks. Today someone asked what dish I brought. I looked at them and said "I didn't (insert pause here), I am a married adult and live in my own home, until I start receiving my own invitation (like I'm not a kid anymore) I count my mom's food as mine."
Then I realized that I didn't have a drink so I made a quick run to the Village Pantry to grab some soda and decided to pick up some cheese puffs. That's right folks I brought CHEESE PUFFS to the family reunion. Never say I don't participate!

As I was at the family reunion I looked around and realized that I am not really related to these people. I mean they are like from a different planet. I promise you there was an entire family of mullets there today. I rest my case!

There are approximately 6 people from my "extended family" that I see on a pretty regular basis so I don't need to attend the family reunion to catch up with them. The others.... I don't really want to know.
I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW judge all you want but are you attending family reunions to make sure that you keep in touch with ALL of your family. Let us just be honest folks, there are some family members that when people ask you if you are related to them you respond with "Why?" This should not be a normal response but it is!!!!!
So one of my classy and cool family members said "This is why no one ever gets to know anyone, we always sit with our click" my response "I'm ok with that"

There it is people, my brutal honesty. I am a firm believer that you sometimes have to create family. Yeah Yeah Yeah family is important and all that but sometimes you get the crap pot if you will. I refuse to pretend to be happy to see people once a year that I don't even know their name, they don't know mine and we are all ok with it. This isn't a one way street here.
So this is why I have a lot of acquaintances but am very picky about my core friends. You know the people you are REAL friends with not just the niceties on Sunday but the actual "What's new in your life and I really mean it because I care about you?"
And did you read about the mullets???

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I'm just lucky I didn't wear my "Mullets Rule!" shirt.

That would have been bad.

Keym said...

muhahahahahaha Next year my sexy husband there is always next year!

Tonya said...

Hey there's nothing wrong with a mullet here and there! Just kidding, I hate them. :) I guess you should be thankful that you have a lot of "cool" people as your friends and you can claim us as your "extended" family.

Kristin said...

We all have the "mullet" family members. You just gotta love 'em and wait until next year to see them again! By the way, my family reunion is comprised of about 85% of people whom I don't know by name...I'm talking third cousins, relatives who are "removed", and completely non-related "relatives." I've taken to calling them all cousins, because it's most likely true! lol Then again, I AM in Tennessee!

--V-- said...

Isn't this the same bunch who had a Garfield surprise gift one year? Less than awesome...

Oh...and at least your reunion isn't at a hillbilly cemetery in Kentucky. Not only is that creepy--there are also outhouses. Ick.

Keym said...

Ok outhouses vs mullets. You win V. At least mine is in Indiana!