Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's been awhile....

So Nathan and I still do not have Internet access at home, this is why I do not blog right now.
We went to Jamaica in January and I promised to let you guys know about how the trip went.
At first I wasn't ready to share because I was so over whelmed with emotions and thoughts.
It has been just over 3 months and here I go...

I have a love hate relationship with Jamaica.
Yup...I said it...
I am not a builder, if you look at me you can see that I am not really physically active. I despise the heat & food with bones in it, well not really my thing. I am an animal rights activists and the people of Jamaica have a hard time taking care of themselves let alone all the stray animals, hence the hate part of our relationship.
However there is a flip side as well.
I loved talking to the people and getting to witness to them. RELATIONSHIPS, that is what I am all about. I believe God made me outgoing for a reason, surely he has a plan to use me and my personality to help benefit his kingdom.
We built the house for was a single mother of two. Her oldest daughter Jessica stole my heart. Here were these two beautiful little girls in poverty. It was so sad. These children have nothing and sometimes do not get to eat yet Jessica was the happiest little girl ever. Everyday on our way down to the work site Jessica would be there to greet us always with a smile on her face and jibberish coming out of her mouth. This two year old could not form sentences or have conversations and then I realized her mother really didn't talk so how would little Jessica learn?
One night we went to the boys home. Another sad experience. Here were all these boys being taken care of by one lone man. Try as he might he just couldn't give each child the individual attention they deserved. So while we were there we got to talk to them, witness to them by teaching them the story of Joseph, play games with them and get to know them.
I loved the time I got to spend with my husband and the entire team. We met people from other states in the US and got to hear their story. We learned how the missionaries live and work. We shared secrets with each other and prayed for each other. One of the most important things we did was to get out of our comfort zones, not always an easy task!
In short this is the story of my love/hate relationship with Jamaica. I can't tell you everything about the trip because that would be the longest blog post in history and I think you should check out missions work yourself.
God definitely changed my heart while I was in Jamaica, I guess we will just have to see where that leads us.
Thank you to everyone who donated to us so we could go on this trip. If we haven't already told you in person then it's coming.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing about your trip, Keym. I can't imagine everything you saw and felt...

--V-- said...

Though Jamaica may not have been for you, you certainly made the most of it and were able to use your talents :D

side note: the word verification is "liked" ....awesome!