Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cosmic Vending Machine???

I have had several friends who have "issues" with God. As the "Token Christian" friend they turn to me. Sometimes they almost sling insults at me because MY God is not answering them aka Giving them what they want. I had an extended conversation once with a dear friend. I will paraphrase our words
Friend: "I've talked to God! I asked him to ......, and he isn't listening to me. He doesn't care"
Me: "Perhaps he is telling you something you don't want to hear, so your not listening"
Friend: "NO! All I have ever asked he ignores me, he never gives me what I want. He can't hear me"

I have been rolling this over & over in my mind for awhile now. What is the best way to respond to people when they are in this mind frame.

One Sunday PK hit the nail on the head.
GOD IS NOT A GIANT COSMIC VENDING MACHINE IN THE SKY!

That night when I was reading my Bible I came across something called Off And Running. In my Bible there are little boxes here and there like this that will pertain to something you have just read in the above/below/beside scripture. This one was in the book of John.

Pray Expecting to Get Answers (Read 1 John 5:14-15)
"Prayer is not getting your will in heaven. It is getting God's will on earth. Prayer is not an argument with God in which you try to persuade him to move things your way. Prayer is an exercise in which his Spirit enables you to move yourself his way. Prayer is not overcoming God's reluctance. It is laying hold of his willingness. We like to gravitate toward the latter part of these verses. But don't forget the first part. You have to first "stay in Christ" by maintaining a healthy, ongoing relationship with him. When that happens, you will see your will coming in line with his, and your requests will begin to mirror what Christ wants to do in your life and the lives of those around you. At that point, you can be assured that God is listening to you and will answer your prayers"

TA-DA!

So simple. Why would God give you the time of day when you WON'T give him anything?
My dear friend (as far as I know) has never had a real relationship with our wonderful, loving heavenly father. She doesn't even play the hokey pokey as Pink would say. She just flat out has no connection to God. So sad. I love her and I want her and anyone who doesn't know Christ to have him in their lives.
Sorry I was getting off track here.

The answer is simple. You have to have a RELATIONSHIP with God. He is not a giant cosmic vending machine in the sky for you to visit when you need something.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Nicely put!`

Nathan said...

Yes, well put! Even after building a relationship with Christ as an adult, I still need reminded that it's not about the 'Cosmic Vending Machine'