Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Nathan and I ventured out and about the town today! We went to the post office and exchanged our Euros for Pounds. I'm pretty sure that we lost a LOT of money when we exchanged. We originally exchanged in Newark, NJ from US to Euros (because that's what we were told we needed!) and when we got here we found out that Northern Ireland uses the pound because it is part of the UK. Southern Ireland uses the Euro, soooo we had to go to the post office to exchange our Euros to pounds because in most NI places they do not take the Euro. When the post master told us what we were going to get back in US if we exchanged the Pounds made my jaw drop. I'm still not sure where the money went!?!?!?

While in New Castle we ventured to a little used book shop and one their versions of a dollar store. Their pound is our dollar, so one of their versions of a dollar store is "Around A Pound". The lady we were with Cynhia, had to hit the grocery to pick up some missing ingedrients for our lunch she let us roam for about 20 minutes and we had to meet her back at the car. The grocery she went to was Lids. This was their version of our Aldi's. They had giant pictures of fruit and vegetables and underneath it said "SERIOUSLY CHEAPER" hahahaha That guy should get a raise :0)

After lunch we went to Downpatrick. Cynthia dropped us off on her way to Belfast to drop off an intern from Paris at the airport so she could go home. We visited a cathedral, St. Patricks grave, The prison and all the stuff that went with that, then the St. Patrick center where it was a museum with a IMAX movie *Way different version of an IMAX than ours*. Cynthia picked us up on her way home.

After dinner we went to Dundrum to hang with Richie's youth kids. FYI Irish youth is WAY different than ours!!!! The Taylor University soccer team joined us and we just hung out with the kids. Then we headed to the Galley (?) to get what Pink called the BEST fish and chips. Well I gave it a whirl and I still detest fish (and chips when fried in fish grease) *Insert disgusted look here*! Everyone loved them with the exception of me and 2 others and all 3 of us despise fish in general so I guess we don't count.

After we dropped the soccer team off we went to a real Irish pub! It was nothing like I expected. I was thinking a loud smoky bar where giant Irish men were tipping over in a drunken state *In all fairness I have not been to many bar's in my life and never an Irish pub* It was a really nice restaurant with no smoking and they stop serving alcohol at half past 11. Hardly anyone was there and it was a family establishment. Nathan and I had our first and I believe last glass of Guiness. They let us keep our glasses as souvieners. So yeah... were practically locals now :0)

It is now 1:22 A.M. and I need to get to sleep. I can't be falling asleep durring the Bible lesson tomorrow now can I?!

4 comments:

Pink said...

I don't know if you are talking about me when it comes to the Euros as opposed to Pounds but my exact quote on my text was, "I would change some there. Right now it should be around .61 POUNDS for every dollar." So you can't blame me! LOL!

Pink said...

I'm glad you had a great day!

Nathan said...

No, it was the MONEY EXCHANGE PERSON! I mean, seriously, you'd think she knew what she was talking about. I even questioned her TWICE! But she insisted that Northern Ireland uses Euros.

Gr!

Sorry, I'm done venting now ;o)

Pink said...

Sorry dude, that sucks!